Juice Fast and Heart Attack Cafe

OK, this is slightly different fare for the Parks Blog, but since many folks who're interested in parks are also interested in a healthy lifestyle I'll share my recent experience with juice fasting.  First I watched this amazing movie on Netflix called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.  Don't worry, I haven't become the obesity coordinator, just bear with me. Here's the trailer:



After watching, I committed to juice fast for 9 days (OK, there was some "gentle" prodding from my better half).  That is, I've consumed only fresh fruit and vegetable juice or water, nothing else.  I'm on my last day and have lost 11 pounds.  The first few days were not particularly fun.  I was hankering for a steak or some of that homemade corned beef hash at Verlie's that I've heard so many good things about.  But after about the 3rd day, it was actually really easy.  I still have plenty of energy, (more than before in truth) and don't feel hungry or have cravings for food.  I haven't yet decided whether to continue beyond the 9 days or not.  The guy in the movie above went for a full 60 days.  I'm still a committed foodie and do miss eating, so I'll probably start transitioning back pretty soon. The experience was definitely worthwhile.

So now, I'm following this up with an audio book, Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Furman.  His research and plan make sense to me.  He created the following food pyramid which gives you the general idea.  

I reserve the right to have a burger and a pint at the Brewery so don't come harass me if you see me doing just that at some point.  I'm definitely going to try some of that corned beef hash, and don't get me started about Allen and Son's, or Pig in the Pen, which are both awesome, but I'll mix it up with a lot more salads, fresh fruits and veggies purchased at local farmers markets.

I'm not a nutritionist, not giving advice, not selling anything or trying to convince anyone to take any particular course of action, just sharing info and my experience.  I don't want to end up like this poor blogger, who faces getting shut down, or this poor guy, the second to have a heart attack at the Heart Attack Cafe.

To be objective, fair and balanced; maybe we need a Pittsboro Heart Attack Cafe franchise:

 

Comments

  1. For all my bluster about wanting a steak, after reading "Eat to LIve," I'm really just enjoying huge salads, fresh fruits and veggies. I've replaced my morning coffee with fresh citrus juice and have lots of energy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts